Not all surgeons are board-certified. Board certification is voluntary, and attaining it shows a surgeon’s commitment to their craft, lifelong learning, and top-notch patient care. The process of becoming board-certified is hard and rigorous. When you are being treated by a board-certified surgeon, you’re seeing one of the best.
At Farris Plastic Surgery, Dr. Zachary Farris is double-board-certified. He has certifications from both the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery. Dr. Farris obtained these because of his utmost dedication to providing his parents with the best possible care and results. Read on to learn about what it took Dr. Farris to achieve these prestigious feats.
What are Surgery Boards?
The American Board of Medical Specialties, or ABMS, is a non-profit umbrella organization that represents 24 areas of specialty medicine. The boards that make up the ABMS maintain a rigorous process to evaluate physicians and ensure they’re practicing at the highest standard with the most up-to-date techniques.
The boards that Dr. Farris is certified by are:
- American Board of Plastic Surgery: This board certifies surgeons for plastic surgery, which the board defines as any surgery dealing with the “repair, reconstruction, or replacement of physical defects of form or function…or cosmetic enhancements.”
- American Board of Surgery: This board certifies surgeons for general surgery and vascular surgery.
What Does it Take to Become Board-Certified?
The process of becoming board-certified is long, hard, and rigorous. This ensures that only the best physicians can attain a certification. To become certified, doctors must:
- Graduate from a four-year premedical college or university
- Earn a medical degree from a qualified medical school
- Earn a medical license
- Complete a full-time residency in an accredited training program
- Receive an endorsement from the residency’s program director
- Apply to take the board exams
- Pass the written and oral examinations administered by a board
Dr. Farris completed his undergrad studies at New York University and earned his medical degree from Drexel University College of Medicine. After that, he interned at Brown University and performed his surgery residency at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
Finally, Dr. Farris completed his plastic surgery residency at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. In addition to his residency, Dr. Farris devoted many years there to training fellow surgeons. He served as an assistant professor, educator, and researcher. He taught the principles and art of plastic surgery and developed a new body contouring program at the college.
Dr. Farris has demonstrated his commitment to integrity, ethics, honesty, and compassion at every step of his career. These traits helped him attain his prestigious double-board-certification, and they help him give his patients the highest standard of care every day.
Dr. Farris’ certifications show his dedication to lifelong learning, and his results speak for themselves. Click here to see his before-and-after gallery. Dr. Farris serves Dallas, Fort Worth, and nearby areas of Texas. Call (214) 932-1705 today to schedule a consultation.