Double Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon in Dallas, TX
If you’re unhappy about thinning hair, you’re in good company. Approximately 80 million men and women in the United States experience some degree of hair loss during their lives. For many people, the emotional impact of hair loss can be devastating, often resulting in damage to your self-confidence and self-image.
At Farris Plastic Surgery, we’re sensitive to the ways in which hair loss can impact your life. If you’d like to restore a thicker head of hair, we can help. Recent advances in follicular unit extraction (FUE) techniques have made hair restoration procedures more effective than ever. Dr. Farris offers several hair restoration options, including the NeoGraft® 2.0 Automated Hair Transplant System, which provides you with an opportunity to regain your hair as part of a minimally invasive procedure with a natural result, little downtime and no linear scar.
You can learn about your hair restoration options and receive individualized treatment recommendations by speaking with Dr. Farris in person. Please call 214-932-1705 today to schedule a consultation. We serve patients in the Dallas, Texas area.
- Understanding Hair Loss
- Hair Loss for Men
- Hair Loss for Women
- NeoGraft® 2.0 Automated Hair Transplantation System
- Am I a Candidate for Hair Transplant with the NeoGraft 2.0 System?
- Why Choose NeoGraft 2.0 Hair Transplant Procedure?
- Your NeoGraft 2.0 Procedure
- Before and After Photos of Our NeoGraft Patients
- NeoGraft 2.0 Pricing
- Other Hair Restoration Options
- Contact our Dallas Plastic Surgeon
Understanding Hair Loss
To begin to understand hair loss, it’s important to understand the hair growth cycle, which consists of three distinct stages:
- Anagen Phase – This is the growth phase. Roughly 90% of hairs normally reside within this phase of the growth cycle. It typically lasts about 3-5 years.
- Catagen Phase – At the end of the anagen phase, hairs begin to enter this degradation phase, which lasts about 2-3 weeks.
- Telogen Phase – Lastly, hairs enter this resting phase where they begin to shed. This phase typically lasts about 3-4 months. On average, 50-100 hairs fall out every day during this resting phase.
Each hair independently goes through the growth cycle at different times. Otherwise, all your hair would fall out at the same time. In conditions where the anagen phase is shortened and the telogen phase is prolonged, hair loss begins to exceed hair growth, leading to thinning hair and eventual baldness.
Hair Loss for Men
Male pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) is responsible for the vast majority of hair loss in men and is caused by a combination of heredity and hormonal activity. Sufferers of male pattern baldness have hair follicles that are sensitive to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a by-product of testosterone (converted by 5-alpha-reductase). Hair follicles that are sensitive to DHT begin to miniaturize, shortening the lifespan of each hair follicle affected.
Typically, men begin to notice a receding hairline and thinning at the top of the scalp. The pattern can progress to a more advanced stage of baldness, which involves the entire top of the scalp, leaving only a rim or “horseshoe” of hair at the back and sides of the scalp. Generally, the earlier the onset of alopecia, the more severe it will be. The Norwood Scale depicts the progression of hair loss.
Hair Loss for Women
Although thought to be a strictly male problem, women account for 40% of American hair loss sufferers. There are numerous potential causes of hair loss in women and include androgenic alopecia (hormonal imbalance with increase of male hormone). In women, this typically causes diffuse thinning at the front and top of the scalp (female pattern hair loss).
Other causes of hair loss in women include:
- Extreme stress
- Crash diets
- Thyroid problems
- Alopecia Areata, a condition where the body’s immune system attacks the hair follicles, causing hair to fall out in patches
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), a chronic hormonal imbalance that produces higher levels of androgens (male hormone)
Because of the numerous potential causes, it is important to rule out the medical and reversible causes of hair loss in women before proceeding with consideration of a hair transplant procedure.
NeoGraft® 2.0 Automated Hair Transplantation System
Many potential hair restoration patients shy away from (or are not candidates for) the traditional “strip method” of hair replacement because of the slow recovery time, the loss of feeling at the incision site, the tiny linear scar on the back of the head, or the amount of post-operative pain involved.
After much research, Dr. Farris has chosen to offer the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method utilizing the NeoGraft® 2.0 Automated Hair Transplantation system. This system represents the newest technology in hair restoration. The FUE method of hair transplantation removes individual hair follicles from the scalp in their naturally occurring groupings of about 1-4 hairs, and are then placed in the areas of the scalp where balding has occurred.
The NeoGraft 2.0 procedure offers a variety of benefits, including:
- Least invasive hair transplantation procedure
- Minimal discomfort
- Minimal bleeding and fewer complications compared with the “strip method”
- No intravenous or intra-muscular sedation is required
- No stitches or staples are used
- No unsightly linear scar
- Flexibility for any hair style of your choice, short or long
- Short recovery time – you can typically go back to work the next day
- Fewer restrictions on your normal daily activities
- Natural looking results
Am I a Candidate for a Hair Transplant with the NeoGraft 2.0 System?
Ideal NeoGraft 2.0 hair transplant candidates are men and women who:
- Have good hair density at donor areas such as the back and sides of the scalp
- Prefer a minimally invasive solution that offers more natural looking results
- Would like the option of wearing a very short haircut in the back or sides of their scalp
- Want the least amount of activity restriction after their procedure
- Would like to conceal a scar from a prior “strip” procedure
- Want to restore hair to absent or thinning eyebrows
Why Choose the NeoGraft 2.0 Hair Transplant Procedure?
Hair loss can be a very emotional part of the natural aging process, and seeking ways to curb this process used to be a challenge. The NeoGraft® system is the first and only FDA-approved follicular unit harvesting and implantation system. The NeoGraft® system delivers automation of the FUE technique, the most advanced technique in the hair transplant industry.
This revolutionary system uses pneumatic controls to precisely extract complete individual hair follicles which can be immediately transplanted to the selected areas of the scalp. The NeoGraft® 2.0 automated hair transplantation system is the only complete harvesting system on the market and has the only “no touch” implantation technology.
Hair Restoration with NeoGraft® 2.0 technology provides absolute exact harvesting and placement, delivering repeatable results. With NeoGraft’s technology, each follicle is removed individually in a comfortable, pain-free manner. A natural looking head of hair is created with this minimally-invasive procedure.
NeoGraft’s advanced technology offers a discreet solution to hair loss, allowing you to achieve natural looking results with no linear scar, minimal downtime and a shorter recovery period. Hair restoration with the NeoGraft® 2.0 procedure is unnoticeable, making it your secret to tell or conceal as you see fit.
Your NeoGraft 2.0 Procedure
NeoGraft® 2.0 uses a minimally invasive method that is a variation of the FUE technique, which involves harvesting hair grafts one at a time instead of cutting a strip of skin from a donor site such as the back of the head. During your NeoGraft® 2.0 procedure, an automated handheld device removes follicles and implants them in balding areas. The 2.0 device has a new hand piece that was designed to be consistent for graft placement. Every incision is the same, which is important for the precision of the graft implantation.
- Results are immediate. You will leave being able to see the grafts in place.
- Hair grows in cycles. The hair implanted will shed for 2-4 weeks and then will be replaced by new, fully functioning hair.
- Results will continue to get better each week with full results achieved 9-12 months after the procedure.
- Higher graft take rate (greater than 90%) than the “strip” method due to a reduction in hair irritation and trauma to the scalp.
- NeoGraft 2.0 is ideal for all hair types and colors with natural looking results.
- The procedure can take 4-8 hours depending on number of grafts.
- You are awake during the procedure with oral medication to make you relaxed and comfortable.
Recovery after the NeoGraft 2.0 procedure is very mild:
- You can go back to work the next day if you choose and resume normal activity within 48 hours (excluding strenuous exercise).
- You will experience a small amount of swelling for up to 24-48 hours. This can be managed by wearing a bandage such as an ace-wrap.
- You may experience some pin-point redness and scabbing for 1 week.
- You may wear a hat such as a baseball cap after 48 hours as long as it sits 2 inches from the treated area.
- You need to give your scalp/grafts 2 weeks to fully recover before resuming strenuous activity that will cause sweating or blood pressure to rise.
NeoGraft 2.0 has a 94% “Worth It” rating on RealSelf, making it one of the highest rated cosmetic procedures on this site.
Before and After Photos of our NeoGraft Patients
NeoGraft 2.0 Pricing
The NeoGraft® 2.0 procedure is priced by the number of follicular units or grafts removed and implanted. An existing follicular unit or graft can have up to 4 hairs in it. You are charged for 1 follicle, not 4 hairs. The number of grafts needed is individual to each person. The range is 500-3,000, with the average being 2,000 grafts.
At Farris Plastic Surgery, we’re committed to making sure your desired procedure can fit into your budget. To accomplish this goal, we offer a variety of financing options, including no-interest and low-interest plans. During your initial consultation, our staff will discuss these options with you in detail.
Other Hair Restoration Options
Dr. Farris offers several other hair restoration options, including:
- NeoLTS Light Therapy System – The NeoLTS system uses Light Emitting Diodes (LED) in order to strengthen and improve hair density
- Hair Medica – The Hair Medica system contains a variety of products which can help reverse androgenic alopecia, stimulate hair regrowth, increase the size of hair follicles and improve the health of your scalp.
Contact our Dallas Plastic Surgeon
Please contact Farris Plastic Surgery using the form on this page or call 214-932-1705 today to schedule a hair restoration consultation. We serve patients in the Dallas, Texas area.